Final Term is a new breed of terminal emulator.
It goes beyond mere emulation and understands what is happening inside the shell it is hosting. This allows it to offer features no other terminal can, including:
- Semantic text menus – Final Term knows which pieces of terminal output represent filenames, PIDs, web URLs or IP addresses and provides context-aware commands for each of them. New semantic menus can be added effortlessly with a powerful yet simple text file-based plug-in system — no programming required.
- Smart command completion – Final Term knows when it is displaying a command prompt to you, and it knows all the commands that you ever entered.The moment you start typing, suggestions from your terminal history automatically pop up — lightning fast and sorted by an algorithm that ensures what you want to type is almost always right at the top.
- GUI terminal controls – Final Term lets you collapse command output much like a programmer’s editor lets you fold code.Final Term recognizes “ASCII art scrollbars” in the output of supported programs like wget and displays matching GUI scrollbars, allowing you to monitor progress while the output is scrolled away.
- GTK+ 3
- Clutter >= 1.12
- libnotify Optional, for desktop notifications support
- libunity Optional, for Unity launcher integration (progress bars)
Additionally, it requires intltool for localization string extraction.
To install Final Term, execute these shell commands:
git clone https://github.com/p-e-w/finalterm.git
sudo make install
If you want to install to a custom directory your
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable has to point to the prefix with the file
glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled in it.
Thanks to the work of Bob Mottram (packaging) and GitHub user versable (PPA setup), Ubuntu is currently the easiest platform to install Final Term on:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:finalterm/daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install finalterm
The PPA is synchronized with the GitHub repository and should always deliver the latest version with a few hours delay at most.